Home / College Wide / A Jaguar’s journey to the Academy Awards
Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 1.38.02 AM

A Jaguar’s journey to the Academy Awards

Walker's winning entry for Team Oscar came from the best piece of advice he has ever gotten, “Our greatest enemy is the enemy within.”
Walker’s winning entry for Team Oscar came from the best piece of advice he has ever gotten, “Our greatest enemy is the enemy within.” Photo by Tosin Ogunnoiki.

By Jazmine Steed

The 2015 Academy Awards recognized Georgia Perimeter College graduate and rising filmmaking star Patrick Walker through Channing Tatum’s “Team Oscar” college search.

This college search gives rising filmmakers such as Walker the opportunity to compete for a chance to be onstage and deliver actual Oscar statuettes to the celebrity presenters during the Oscars.

Walker won and joined five others with his submission about the best piece of advice he has ever been given, “Our greatest enemy is the enemy within.”

About three weeks after Tatum announced the winners, they flew out to Los Angeles to network with others in the film industry to pursue their dreams as filmmakers.

A few days later, the big night arrived, and Walker was at the 2015 Academy Awards.

“I felt like I belonged there,” said Walker. “It was like I dreamed I was in a place full of actors and big-time celebrities, and I woke up the next day, and my dream became reality.”

Walker even impressed Oprah Winfrey, who said, “You look good, so I know your talent is good. You could become the next Denzel Washington.”

One of his favorite parts of the show was connecting with Tatum.

Walker first met Tatum on the set of “21 Jump Street” and then again as a part of Team Oscar at the Academy Awards.

“I was honored and privileged to meet and work with such a gifted actor as Tatum,” said Walker.

Doors began to open for Walker at GPC, winning a number of film competitions and awards that led to meeting people who enabled him to become the filmmaker that he is today.

Walker attended Campus MovieFest at GPC on March 26 in the auditorium.

He won the award for “Best Actor” this year for his performance in the short film “Delicate Crest.” This is his second “Best Actor” award; the first one was in 2013.

The short film also won “Best Cinematography,” the “Jury Award” and will continue to Hollywood as a finalist.

In 2013, his short film “Caretaker” also advanced and placed third for the national Campus MovieFest Elfenworks Social Justice Award.

Walker credits theatre teacher Collin Rust and GPC acting classes as integral factors that enabled him to fulfill his goal in becoming an actor.

Rust had a big influence on Walker by teaching him vocal exercises, sharing helpful techniques and recommending good books.

“What I learned here will be with me for a lifetime,” said Walker.

About Jack Lester