Home / Dunwoody / GPC students get cultured at Dunwoody Culture Fest

GPC students get cultured at Dunwoody Culture Fest

GPC students walk around and learn about different cultures. Photo by Naya Clark.

By: Naya Clark

On April 1, the Dunwoody Campus displayed just how culturally diverse it is at the annual Culture Fest in the student center.

On Wednesday, 22 set ups represented a vast array of countries and cultures including Thailand, Italy, Turkey, Iran, France, Russia, Bangladesh, Columbia and various other regions around the globe.

Each culture was provided a table displaying an arrangement of cultural artifacts including photos, maps, books, musical instruments, crafts and clothing.

The music of the different countries filled the room as students walked into the student center to learn and share the beauty of cultures with their peers.

“The purpose of Dunwoody Culture Fest is to showcase the cultural diversity of the college,” said perspectives professor Eric Kendrick, a perspectives professor, who was responsible for overseeing the Culture Fest table setups. “Through display tables, a fashion parade and entertainment, students, faculty and staff represent the cultures they are from and the cultures they are interested in.”

Sushi was one of the many delicacies offered at Dunwoody Culture Fest. Photo by Naya Clark.

As if, leaving with the knowledge of many cultures wasn’t enough, Culture Fest provided students with various cuisines of cultures around the word such as Swedish meatballs, sushi and Jamaican beef patties

“I learned about the different types of food, and how they all use the same ingredients, but in different ways,” said biology major Valerya Tobon. “The way each has different cultures. Like one country doesn’t spell based on letters, but on sounds.”

Students were also treated with a fashion show, exhibiting traditional and modern garb worn by people from areas such as China, Japan, West Africa and Saudi Arabia.

“I thought Culture Fest was surprisingly informational and a tremendous amount of fun,” said dance major Nicholar Reaser. “I learned a lot of interesting facts about some cultures I never would have asked about. Some cultures I never would have asked about if it weren’t for Culture Fest. It was more about just facts about the culture, but interesting facts.”

Culture Fest proved to be a major success in providing students with an opportunity to understand and appreciate the cultures in which they come from and never heard of.