Home / Dunwoody / Quad Ball: Keeping soccer around after changes
Students on the Dunwoody campus enjoy a game of soccer and hope to keep the tradition alive after the consolidation of Georgia State and GPC. Photo by Olujimi Oyenekan.

Quad Ball: Keeping soccer around after changes

Students on the Dunwoody campus enjoy a game of soccer and hope to keep the tradition alive after the consolidation of Georgia State and GPC.                              Photo by Olujimi Oyenekan.

By: Olujimi Oyenekan

On March 31, the United States played Switzerland in an international friendly match that saw the teams draw.

On the Dunwoody campus, another group of players were performing and sharpening their skills on the school quad.

There are nine players in all, organized and introduced by Eric Munoz, a sophomore studying criminal justice in his last semester.

The GPC Dunwoody co-curricular soccer team scrimmages to take their minds off of the ending school year and to keep physical conditions in top shape outside the classroom.

It’s a new initiative, with contribution from the Health Department on campus who suggested moving goal posts to the venue to make the games more official and the SGA President volunteering as a goalkeeper.

The program was born when Eric Munoz, who regards himself as “the best goalkeeper they have” became interested in keeping students moving with all the current happenings at the campus.

The consolidation of GPC and Georgia State will see Perimeter’s teams retired and this is more an effort to create something that can bear the change.

Munoz agreed that there is an interest from the students about semi-formal soccer and maybe even basketball on a further note, and with the quad being available on most days, the next natural move was to make the agreement official.

Goal posts are planned on being moved some time in April, while there is talk of practicing indoor, Martin “Tito,” another sophomore player explains, “There is more exposure on the Quad versus indoors. And if we make posters to advertise, nobody reads posters.”

The team meets to play Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m., weather permitting.