Home / SPORTS / Exes and Ohs / Exes and Ohs: May 25, 2015

Exes and Ohs: May 25, 2015

Face it?

Atlanta sports fans take a lot of heat for being the worst in the nation.

After the Hawks lost to the Cavaliers in game 2, Atlanta fans literally threw in the towel and jumped off that bandwagon as quickly as they jumped on.  They just handed over the torch to LeBron James even though there were still at least 2 games left to play.

When the new powers that be took over for the Braves and they started clearing house with the roster, fans had already given up on a season months before it even started.

You know what Atlanta, whether you be a fan of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Braves, Hawks or Falcons your reputation is well deserved and it’s time you stop complaining about how you are portrayed as a sports city and just accept the fact that when someone looks up the definition of “bandwagon” it will read “See Atlanta Fans”.

Yes…  Game 3 was another loss for the Hawks and Game 4 could spell doomsday on the Hawks season, but you “fans” gave up on them when they still had a chance in the East Finals and made it to a level they had never been before.

Stop the Madness and Let Them Play!

I watched some college baseball and softball over the weekend, particularly the SEC championships and some regional action in the Women’s College World Series.  I have concluded that if it was not for the fact that I cover college sports that I would probably never have watched at all.

Collegiate baseball and softball both have a “mercy rule” which basically says that if a team leads a game by certain amount of runs after a select amount of innings then the game is called.

This is a ridiculous rule.  Let them play!  If the NCAA can allow teams to score 70 points in a football game and over 100 in basketball, they can let baseball and softball teams have a lead larger than 7 or 10 runs a game.

(photo courtesy of Zach Montellaro/Flickr/Barcroft Park, Va.)

GSU Panthers Update:

Speaking of baseball, our future brothers over at Georgia State were eliminated by Arkansas State (6-2) in the Sun Belt Tournament in Troy, Alabama.  The Panthers finished the season 30-27 while Junior Matt Rose (#5) recorded his 18th home run of the season.  Rose, Joey Roach (#8), and Ryan Blanton (#16) all earned All-Sun Belt Baseball First Team honors.  Only Louisiana-Lafayette, the tournament champions, made the field of 64 teams in the N.C.A.A. Tournament and will face Rice in the Houston Regional.

Stanley Cup Playoffs are heating up:

The greatest of all playoffs is and will forever be The Stanley Cup.  On Saturday, the Tampa Bay Lightning took a 3-2 series lead in the Eastern Conference finals with a 2-0 win over the New York Rangers in fabled Madison Square Garden.

Game 6 is headed back to Tampa where a “Bolts” win at home will punch their ticket to the Stanley Cup Finals.  Out in the West, the Ducks found themselves back at home on Sunday in Anaheim for game 5 versus the Chicago Blackhawks where the series was tied 2-2.

Anaheim won  in overtime with a score of 5-4 and took a 3-2 lead in the Western Conference Finals with Game 6 headed back to Chicago.  Things are about to get wild in the NHL!

Novak Djokovic serving in the 2012 U.S. Open.(photo courtesy of Joe Shlabotnik/Flickr/New York)

French Open Update and Predictions:

For you tennis fans, the French Open kicked off over the Memorial Holiday weekend and as expected Novak Djokovic is the number one seed heading into the tournament.  Rafael Nadal, the nine time French Open champion has a 66-1 record at the tournament, and  is a 6 seed.

While that probably sounds shocking for those who follow tennis and especially those who are Rafa fans, I am not surprised at all.  The fact is the punishment that Nadal has put his body through during training over the last several years and the numerous injuries (especially to his knees) has finally started to catch up with him.

Unfortunately, I do not expect to be yelling “Vamos Rafa!” deep into the tournament.  While I am a Rafa fan, this is “The Joker’s” tournament to lose because he needs this one the most to snatch up his elusive Grand Slam Title.

Remeber what Memerial day is all about. (photo courtesy of Shawn Harquall/Flickr/Boston)

A Thank You to the Brave Men and Women in Service:

Before I sign off, I want to thank each and every one of you who served and protected this great country throughout the years.   There are quite a few students here at G.P.C. who served in the military and unfortunately I will likely never have the pleasure to meet you in person to shake your hand and thank you personally.  Just know that there are those who do appreciate everything you have done, and without a doubt the contributions you are likely to make in the future.

“Exes and Ohs” is written by Woody Bass, Collegian sports writer. 

About Ben Abrams

Clarkston Managing Editor