Home / College Wide / I Need A Doctor

I Need A Doctor

Illustration by Jack Lester.
Illustration by Jack Lester.
A Trip into how PTSD is Embedded into our Society

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a mental disorder that tends to stem from previous life experiences that were traumatizing to the individual.

The individual who suffers from PTSD tends to develop coping mechanisms and subconsciously thinks about the traumatizing event on a daily basis.

Many people suffer from trauma and recover on their own.

Those who suffer from PTSD tend to have extreme difficulties dealing with the trauma.

PTSD can cause the individual to relive that traumatic event through flashbacks, nightmares and other methods that can cause serious problems to the individual.

It can lead to other mental disorders like depression, borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, and many more.

PTSD can also lead to extreme actions such as suicide, self-mutilation and the destruction of relationships. These actions can also lead to more problems that are both internal and external to the individual.

How do you know if you have PTSD?

Like most mental disorders, PTSD has very similar characteristics with other disorders.

PTSD tends to always originate from an actual experience in one’s lifetime.

Counseling is normally what is recommended for most PTSD patients.

Time and patience is key to helping those who are dealing with PTSD.

Who is normally stricken with PTSD?

PTSD is normally equated with military veterans who have witnessed terrible events or even experienced traumatizing occurrences.

Many military veterans have had to undergo extensive amounts of therapy for their severe levels of PTSD.

Case studies done from wars such as World War II show the severe effects that PTSD had on the those spending weeks in trenches and hearing bombs go off repeatedly.

After serving in the military, many military veterans are left homeless and impoverished, yet rich in the memories of war and pain.

“When you are on the battlefield, repercussions do not tend to cross your mind; it is all about action,” said Ofir Melamed, a former Israeli soldier. “When the dust settles, you look back and realize all the time you lost, the friends you lost and all the damage you dealt with, both externally and internally. And in the end of it all, you’re just left with thoughts and memories.”

With an extensive view on PTSD and the military, are military veterans the only ones affected? Who else can be affected?

In a nation that is filled with poverty, crime, starvation and other factors, it is hard to believe that only military veterans can suffer from such a disorder.

PTSD seems to come into play most frequently through physical trauma such as rape and combat.

The reality is that PTSD exists off the battlefield just as much as it exists on it. There are many soldiers who do not carry weapons but who suffer from traumatizing events, which can very well lead to PTSD.

The nomadic child who scavenges through trash to survive on a daily basis can have it.

The mother who sleeps in the lobby of St. Jude’s Hospital nightly praying for her child who is battling cancer can have it.

The firefighter who had to hear the cries of a family burning alive while he tried his best to rescue them can have it.

The high school student who gets beat up daily for his sexual preference can have it.

The 15-year-old girl who stands at the corner in a fur coat and heels in 10 degree weather can have it.

Or the person who is reading this article and evaluating their lives to see if they can measure up to the so-called “standards” of PTSD can have it.

Is it you or is it me, who battles PTSD?

About Joseph Richardson