Home / NEWS / Mother Goose: Dunwoody campus closes for geese

Mother Goose: Dunwoody campus closes for geese

By: Naya Clark

Most Dunwoody students can agree that geese are a common sight on campus.

The long necked nuisances are notorious for waddling around campus, blocking cars from the school entrance, but mostly distributing poops for students and staff to maneuver around in order to get to and from class.

On Monday students and staff got a whole new perspective on the campus geese.

As opposed to annoyances on campus, a lesson of life and beauty was learned.

On March 30, a female goose nested in a bed of pine straw underneath a tree in front of the E building.

At first glance, she appeared to be injured or perhaps just resting.

Shortly after, students, staff and GPC Public Safety learned that she was laying eggs.

Although Public Safety made a kind effort in protecting the goose with caution tape so that no students would bother her in the incubating process, the father goose took on the task just as well, hissing at passersby protecting the mother as she warmed her eggs until spring approached.

“I thought it was very genuine how they closed that area for the goose to have her chicks, and how respectful everybody was to the environment around her,” said Valerya Tobon, a biology major at the Dunwoody campus.

Students and geese became used to the sight of the mother goose tending to her eggs, often sleeping or people watching in her nest.

The process helped students see it as a long and beautiful journey.

Although the process of laying eggs take about a week, incubating eggs take about a month until the embryo fully develops.

Finally, on April 27, the eggs finally hatched, and everyone flocked around the new geese family and snapped pictures of the six healthy adorable baby chicks.

Michael Clarke-Wilson, a biology major commented on the beautiful sight. “Usually people are annoyed by them from driving around them, to stepping in their poop,” said Clarke-Wilson. “But when they have babies, everyone forgets about the negative and comes together to appreciate the beauty of the young animals by snapping pictures and admiring them.”

About Naya Clark