Home / College Wide / Xanax: Beyond the pharmacy

Xanax: Beyond the pharmacy

Illustration by Jack Lester.
Illustration by Jack Lester.

By: Jack Lester

Prescription drug exploration has become constant in today’s culture.

Through Google searches and popular culture a working knowledge of how drugs operate– prices, how they’re sold and street names–is easy to obtain.

Xannies (Zannies), Bars, Benzos and White boys are all nicknames for Alprazolam–brand name Xanax.

Xanax is the most abused benzodiazepine, delivering feelings of sedation and isolation better than opiates like hydrocodone.

“Zans make you zoned out– other people don’t matter. I see people turn up off them,” says an anonymous GPC student.

Benzodiazepines (BZD) or Benzos numb emotions and produce no euphoria. Therefore the high from Xanax is technically a “low.”

The effects of Benzos contrast the stereotypical high. Where drugs like cocaine give the user a sense of euphoria, the Xanax high, described as a low, raises questions of why a low feeling would be desirable.

Georgia State senior, Damian Phillips thinks “I’ve been prescribed Xans because I actually need them for stress and anxiety. Recreational use is all hype and something that people are doing to seem cool.”

Xanax comes in a few common doses: .25mg, .5mg, 1mg and 2mg.

Outside prescriptions Xanax has a street resale value of around $6 per pill.

“Sometimes I can come across them for five dollars. They’re way cheaper than molly [MDMA], which I’ve seen for $60,” said a GPC freshman that asked to remain anonymous.

Xanax’s economic edge and popularity in culture look to keep the benzodiazepine a top the “most abused” list.

About Jack Lester