Home / College Wide / College Sports Writers look into CFB Crystal Ball

College Sports Writers look into CFB Crystal Ball

College football has made its epic and long awaited return.  To celebrate the season of the flying pig the Collegian polled some sports writers at other universities around Georgia to get some predictions on the upcoming season. Participating in today’s contest are Chris Raimondi from the Sentinel (Kennesaw State), Justin Baxley from the Cluster (Mercer University) and Ben Abrams of the Collegian (Georgia Perimeter).

College Football Playoff

WB: Michigan State, Texas A&M, TCU, and USC

CR: Ohio State, TCU, Michigan State, and Auburn

JB: Ohio State, TCU, Auburn, and USC

BA: Ohio State, Oregon, Auburn, and TCU

National Championship

WB: TCU vs. USC

CR: TCU vs. Ohio State

JB: Auburn vs. USC

BA: Auburn vs. Ohio State

National Champion

WB: TCU

CR: TCU

“I picked TCU as my champion because I witnessed first hand at the Georgia Dome in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl what they are capable of. Besides Ohio State’s depth at quarterback, I believe TCU has the most mature and experienced quarterback in the nation with Trevone Boykin.”

JB: USC

“USC is returning a quarterback who is touted as a early Heisman front runner Cody Kessler. He will look to take the Trojans back to the National Championship game for the first time since Pete Carroll left. Auburn has a QB similar in build to the last guy that won them a title and will look to survive the SEC gauntlet.”

BA: Auburn

Ohio State is returning 14 starters, a starting quality backup, and has a schedule that tilts in their favor win the Big Ten and get back to the championship game. Auburn has what is predicted to be an improvement at quarterback with Jeremy Johnson and defensive coordinator with Will Muschamp. The Tigers improved defense can figure out the blueprint for how to stall Ohio States high powered offense.”

Who do you believe is the most overrated team heading into the season?

WB: Georgia or Florida State on a coin flip.

CR: Georgia

“Georgia should not be in the top ten, period! It’s the same old song and dance we hear every year at the beginning of the season with the Dawgs.”

JB: Alabama

“Alabama always seems to fall short due to quarterback play. Last year they made the playoffs but fell short due to inconsistent play at quarterback. This year doesn’t look better for the Tide at that position.”

BA: Clemson

“The Tigers return only three starters on defense and their quarterback, Deshaun Watson has shown signs of being injury prone during his freshman year..”

Who do you believe is the most underrated team heading into the season?

WB: Texas A&M

CR: Tennessee

“Tennessee, I believe, will win the east with their explosive offense.”

JB: Georgia Tech

“As a lifelong Bulldawg fan I was born to hate the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets but I recognize that they are clearly one of the most underrated teams in the country. Despite losing their top receiver in the Georgia game last year they gave Florida State all they could handle in the ACC title game. They return a lot of their core and will be a force in the ACC.”

BA: Arizona

“This team won ten games, took out Oregon at home, won the Pac 12 south, and made it to a New Years Six Bowl Game. The frightening part is that it was done with a redshirt freshman quarterback, Anu Solomon and a young defense led by All-American Scooby Wright.”

What is the one thing no tailgate should be without?

WB: “My homemade salsa and Tex Mex Dip.”

CR: “Wings, cornhole, and a giant flag for the team you are supporting. You gotta have wings, cornhole and a flag at your tailgate. If not, you’re doing it wrong.”

JB: “Drinks. Dehydration is never a good thing. It gets hot at tailgates and you need some beverages to get you through it.”

BA:Meat. I don’t care what anyone’s reason is a tailgate without any kind of meat is just wrong.”

About Woody Bass

Woody Bass is a staff writer at The Collegian.