Home / Our Voice / Republican Debate Review

Republican Debate Review

On Wednesday, September 16, 2016 Jake Tapper moderated the second Republican debate, which took place in the Reagan Library. The debate consisted of the eleven leading Republican candidates, Sen. Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, Sen. Marco Rubio, Sen. Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Donald Trump, Jeb Bush, Gov. Scott Walker, Carly Fiorina, Gov. John Kasich, and Gov. Chris Christie. The debate commenced with the candidates introducing themselves, and declared their reasons for being there.

The questions started off about Donald Trump, whether Fiorina would feel comfortable with Trump’s finger on the nuclear codes, which he then defended himself. Then the other candidates got the opportunity to defend themselves from the comments and questions made by the other candidates. They then went on the topic of the Iran nuclear deal, which is a long- term nuclear deal with Iran, United States, United Kingdom, France, China, Russia and Germany, for Iran to restrict its unstable nuclear activity in exchange for lifting the sanctions that were put on them. A few of the candidates willingly agreed to rip up the Iranian nuclear deal, as soon as they enter office, and others believe that we could use it to our abilities, that we work better when we’re unified with other countries.

Planned Parenthood was another issue they discussed, whether it would shut down the government if they decide to get rid of it, which also veered into the topic of women’s health rights.

Immigration was the biggest topic of discussion. This is the topic most of the candidates chipped in on, the topic they all agreed on. They only disagreed on how they would get rid of illegal immigration. Some idea mean using too much money, and having too little law enforcement.

Job sectors was the next topic. The candidates argued about their track record and how they are more than capable to create new jobs. Raising minimum wage was another topic. The candidates shared their opinion that they felt that it will be harder for young people to get jobs, and that they won’t work hard enough for better paying jobs. Military was another topic. They agree to make our military stronger, and better, and also use them when it’s necessary, not to fight other people’s battles. Marijuana legalization, was another topic. Some were for the legalization others weren’t.

The debate ended with light hearted questions such as “What women should be on the ten dollar bill?” “What would you want your Secret Service codename to be as president?” and the more serious question. “If you’re elected president, how would the world look different after you leave office?”

This debate was truly interesting, which got me to think, what GPC students have to say about it. What were their opinions? Our photo editor Tosin decided to find out.

Daniel Tesfamariam, Engineering student.

– Daniel Tesfamariam, 27, an Engineering student stated,

“He (Donald trump) knows the masses are ignorant, then turns around and exploits their ignorance to political advantage.”

Alisha Whitmore, Nursing student.
Alisha Whitmore, Nursing student.

-Alisha Whitmore, 19, Nursing student said,

“I don’t think I would ever vote republican, the parties’ views on entitlement reform are much too conservative.”

Sage Hylton, American Sign Language student.

-Sage Hylton, 35, American Sign Language student said

“I really thought that Carly Fiorina and Rand Paul really helped themselves in the debate, they sounded the most articulate in their responses. That stood out to me”

He also began to speak how being from the state of Maine he is used to republican politicians being more moderate opposed to the current front running republican candidates whom are more conservative he then goes on to stress the importance of voting and how it is key. 

Nola Jean, Psychology-alumni.
Nola Jean, Psychology-alumni.

-Nola Jean, 25, Psychology-alumni expressed,

“I felt like Ben Carson presented some ideas that could possibly lead the Republican Party in a more positive direction.”

About Hassanatou Bah

Staff Writer

GPC Decatur Garden, Photo by Sammy Lyons.

Decatur Garden serves students and community

The community garden on the Decatur campus is a positive place that can help the …