Home / Our Voice / Five ways to stay motivated during midterms

Five ways to stay motivated during midterms

Students are all caught up in their daily lives with work, school, family, and a social life. However, finding balance in a person’s life is important. If students want to be successful with anything in life they have to do the work. The most important tool for success is to stay focused.

Everyone has a tendency to feel burnt-out, overwhelmed, and stressed, and people need a little boost in their lives to get back on the right track. This can be done effectively and efficiently by following these five easy tips to ensure a balance in in a person’s daily life while they get through midpoint.

Tip 1: Make clear and obtainable goals.

A student who wants long-term success in whatever endeavor they choose needs to set goals. They need to visualize how they can achieve what it is they have in their mind.

First, make sure the goals are reachable. It is easier to say something is going to be done than actually saying how it’s going to be accomplished. When a goal is set a take the necessary steps to achieve it.

Tip 2: Take time to look at how far you have come.

Students can face times in their lives when they become discouraged or bogged down. During those times they are caught up in the whirlwind of their lives and can be blinded from how far we have come.

A person does not set goals if they do not want satisfaction or happiness in their life. They also do not set goals if there is not an inner desire telling them that they can do it.

Looking at how far someone has come toward reaching their goals will motivate them to keep going. Add a checklist of your goals and, most importantly write them out so you can see your progress.

Tip 3: Relax.

Relaxing is generally an area where some people struggle the most, and sometimes find it hard to loosen up. Sometimes, people either think of all the things they have to do until they become overwhelmed, or press so hard through things that eventually they burn out of energy.

The key to relaxing is doing things in moderation. Yes, that means doing things in an average amount. This goes back to “tip one” with making sure the goals are reachable.

When a person overextend themselves, they are not giving themselves the right amount of energy they need to be efficient. Instead, they are draining themselves. See your goals as something to build you up, not tear you down.

Tip 4: Process healthy emotions.

Humans do not fully understand how much power is given to their emotions. The energy they think and feel, is the energy they give out.

So if you are thinking you are never going to reach your goals, then you are probably not going to. What you are doing is giving yourself negative self-talk, and thus bringing negative emotions and negative results.

After all, who wants negativity? Nobody does. Start speaking positive messages to yourself. Even though things will not always work out, and sometime will go off course, you have to know that it will be okay.

You do not need to give up, but remember it as something that can build on to become more equipped in the future.

Tip 5: Envisioning the reward.

After applying tips one through four, you can have some relief and reap your benefits. One thing that will keep you going while reaching your goals is to know that there is something on the other side of that obstacle. The reward is whatever you want it to be. Maybe it is happiness, a nice dinner for yourself, or a trip to the mall. Remember, you can do it!

Confucius said, “When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.”

About Erika Glass

Staff Writer

GPC Decatur Garden, Photo by Sammy Lyons.

Decatur Garden serves students and community

The community garden on the Decatur campus is a positive place that can help the …