Home / NEWS / GPC shares in Georgia’s unhappy workforce

GPC shares in Georgia’s unhappy workforce

Amanda Foster of WJCL, an ABC affiliate in Savannah, Ga. reports a recent study conducted by WalletHub revealed that Georgia is ranked as the unhappiest workforce among all fifty states and the District of Columbia.

The study was based on work commute, income, and number of hours worked weekly, but all of that does not play a key role in the problem. Two more factors that were taken into consideration for this survey were job security and the unemployment rates of all 50 states plus the D.C. area.

Chelsea Bradley, a journalism major on the Clarkston campus agreed with the study. “Commute is a struggle. MARTA is not that reliable. The bus or the train does not even go all around Georgia. I make pretty good hours. I’m working 35 hours a week, which isn’t bad. I feel that the income needs to go up more,” said Bradley

Lauren Lawrence, an elementary education major on the Decatur campus provided a counterpoint for why she does not agree with the survey. “I feel like work is what you make it. You have to be positive, and thankful that you even have a source of income, because not everyone in America can say that. So regardless of hours or pay, I’m happy at work,” said Lawrence.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Utah, ranked as having the happiest workforce, has an unemployment rate is 3.7 percent. Georgia is at 5.9 percent. WalletHub also ranked Georgia 48 in the nation for lowest income growth, and 32 for emotional and physical well-being.

“I am working too much for the amount I get paid. I get paid $7.30. That means I am underpaid and underappreciated. Commute time is ridiculous. MARTA is a complete joke. I work a decent amount of hours. I don’t know if I get a lot of hours because I’m the least paid on the staff, or if it’s the hours I ask for. I guarantee if I ever get paid ten dollars an hour, I’ll work at least 8 hours a week,” said John Barnett, an English major on the Clarkston campus

Local business owner Fatoumata Kouyate shared an opinion on why the study is correct from a management point of view. “Rent is too high, and taxes get taken out of the money you receive. Owning a business is expensive; you end up with nothing after you pay off the bills, merchandise, and maintenance. It’s as if you get paid what you spend,” said Kouyate.

About Hassanatou Bah

Staff Writer