Home / OPINION / Millennials and the 2016 Presidential Election

Millennials and the 2016 Presidential Election

Why millennials and candidates need to get to know each other before 2016 election.

“As the presidential race heats up, the candidates remain focused on petty infighting,” said 22-year-old college graduate, Elizabeth Elizalde, in her opinion article on CNN titled, “Millennials: What they want from the candidates”. The 2016 presidential election seems to be the talk of the town and everyone is pretty hyped up about it except for one group of people, the millennials.

This generation does not seem to be as interested in the election, and many of them feel disconnected and unsupported by the candidates. Millennials are an important part of today’s society. They are the generation of modernization! Therefore, they are an example of the new world.

Since most millennials are college students or recent graduates, a hot topic in this election is college tuition and whether or not it should be free or less expensive. The rate of tuition is something that can potentially help or hurt most millennials, and this issue can be in the hands of the future president. It is important that the millennials pay attention to each of the individual candidates thoughts on college tuition because this decision can affect them directly.

One of the problems with the presidential election is that not all of the candidates are advertising themselves to millennials, which may turn away the support and importance that the millennials should be giving.  In an opinion column by Thomas Dowling of USA Today, titled “Bernie Sanders Perfect fit for Millennials,” Dowling points out how Sanders is targeting himself toward the millennials with his proposal to  “make college tuition in public colleges and universities free.”

According to Maureen Sullivan of Forbes magazine, Sanders claimed in an Iowa campaign speech in February that if Congress reduced President Obama’s proposed military spending by less than half and invested the money into educational opportunities for college students, the cost of tuition could possibly go down by 55 percent.

Sanders did introduce a proposal to eliminate college tuition for four-year public schools and universities on May 19. The proposal included $70 billion a year in assistance from federal and state governments and an overhaul of federal student loans.

That statement alone is something that catches the attention of many millennials considering how big of an issue affording college can be. According to Michelle Jamrisko and Ilan Kolet of Bloomberg, college tuition has increased 538 percent since 1985. Sanders may have a point, but not all millennials will agree with all of his policies.

Other candidates from both parties should also consider advertising themselves a little more towards the millennials to grasp their attention.The outcome of this election is going to impact the lives of the millennials more than any other generation. Whoever becomes the next president is going to affect the millennials, and they will live to see the changes.

According to U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, studies show that by the year 2025, 75 percent of the U.S workforce will consist solely of millennials. As a generation, millennials should take the time to educate themselves about the people who are running for president and think about the changes they want.

People seem to base their opinions of the candidates on what their friends or family say instead of taking the time to do some research. If time is made actually to learn about these people, together they could encourage each other on voting for the right candidate.

About Laura Ortiz

Staff Writer