Home / FEATURES / Lucy Monge performance
Lucy Monge. Photo by Liza Monge.
Lucy Monge. Photo by Liza Monge.

Lucy Monge performance

Lucy Monge gave an outstanding performance in the Fine Arts Performance Studio on the Clarkston campus on Nov. 16 for around 100 people including her family, whom have never seen her perform on stage before.

Monge is a singer, dancer, and director. She was the assistant director of a production of “The Secret Garden” by Frances Burnett and music director of the black history production “United.” She has performed in several GPC Theater Arts Guild productions such as “The Secret Garden”, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde, and “Children of Eden” by John Caird.

Coordinator of Vocal Music and Assistant Professor of Music Dr. Brian Bonin is Monge’s instructor, and he introduced her to the audience. Dr. Bonin has coached her for about two years now.

The first song she performed was “Stizzoso, Mio Stizzoso,” written by Giovanni Pergolesi. The song is about a maid who flirts with her boss and wants to marry him. It drew the audience in. Monge sang it in French, and she was very enthusiastic.

Monge sang a total of 17 songs in English, French, and Spanish with the help of Patrick Hutchison, a pianist, and Tyler Parker, a guitarist, to make her performance intimate yet phenomenal.

At the end of the performance, the audience gave a standing ovation.
“I liked the performance, and I would come back to see her sing again,” said Joseph Pardue, a student on the Clarkston campus.
Monge said that there are four languages that a classical singer has to sing in: Italian, German, French, and English. She chose to sing in Spanish instead of German because she speaks Spanish with her family.

Monge plans to move to New York in January to pursue her Master’s degree.
“I am more interested in the entertainment of storytelling; I think art is nice. The only difference is how much it moves you,” said Monge.

Monge’s advice for upcoming artists and performers is a tip she gave to herself Sunday morning before her performance, “Don’t go for perfect. There’s nothing special to it. Instead of perfect, go for wonderful because you can have all sorts of disaster happening all around you, and it can still be wonderful. And if everything is perfect it will be boring.”

About Wendy Phan