Home / NEWS / Perimeter College News / Theatre at GPC

Theatre at GPC

Now that the fall semester is dwindling down to its last few weeks, the Theatre Department at the Dunwoody campus is showcasing “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” by Tennessee Williams as one of its last theatre productions before winter break.

CatOnAHotTinRoof
“Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” by Tennessee Williams

“Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” is based in Mississippi on the Southern plantation of Big Daddy Pollitt, a cotton tycoon. The play showcases the relationships of Big Daddy’s family, primarily between Brick, Big Daddy’s son, and Brick’s wife, Maggie, “The Cat”.

The production was Williams’ best-known play and his own personal favorite. The play won the 1955 Pulitzer Prize for Drama, and was adapted into a film in 1958, which starred Paul Newman, as Brick and Elizabeth Taylor, as his wife Maggie.

“Theatre is an enjoyable experience because the connection with the audience is there, and feeding off their energy is what makes it fun,” said Halla Fakhoury,  a theatre major on Dunwoody campus. Fakhoury portrayed the three characters Polly, Brightie, and Sookie in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”.

Vaneisha MacMillan, also from Dunwoody, was in charge of wardrobe for the same production. “Costume design is such a great thing, because it gets to show off all the hard work that we have created,” said MacMillan.

Caitlin Melvin, another theatre major on Dunwoody campus, was asked what she likes best about being an actor in the theatre community. “I like connecting with the audience. You get to tell people stories that don’t get told. Maybe the person who lives it knows it, but they don’t get to share that, so I get to portray that,” said Melvin.

About Isabelle Nguyen

“And that’s the way it is…”

Writing this letter has not been easy. I put it off time and again, postponing …