Home / FEATURES / Modern Day Slave Art

Modern Day Slave Art

Despite being a rainy November day, 12 vibrant panels created by Art Works For Freedom, appeared on Georgia State’s Dunwoody Campus. Strategically placed within the center courtyard, the seamless 4×4 vibrant mural shined brightly through the wet weather.

Photo by Jada Braxton
Photo by Jada Braxton

What You See Is Not Who I Am,” the colorful piece was beautifully titled. However regardless of beauty, the murals ornate shapes and color scheme were meant to tackle a more compelling issue.

This is because “What You See Is Not Who I Am,” is An Art Works For Freedom campaign that although attractive, is meant to inform others of modern day slavery.It is no longer a secret that human trafficking exists, however to some individuals the different forms and elements of the act still may not be apparent.

For example the action of trafficking, the method of trafficking, and the reason for trafficking are a list of things presented by the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime that a person must take into account. It is unfortunate that all three categories’ are equally corrupt, and in some way involve threatening, prostituting and exploiting male or female civilians.

Not to mention consequently this multi-factored threat of “human trafficking”, is still menacing our Atlanta community.

This is why Lisa Alembik, an assistant professor of art on the Dunwoody campus decided to collaborate with the International Human Trafficking Institute in taking action!

Thanks to Alembik, Georgia State’s Dunwoody art department,  International Human Trafficking Institute , and Art Works For Freedom, students were able to fix their sight upon the portable mural series .

What You See Is Not Who I Am,” is a freedom expressions campaign that is getting the visual attention of  many Perimeter students who stop and take notice of the human trafficking problem.

“The art piece was  strikingly beautiful,“ said Natalie Bartliff, a Dunwoody art major. “Our school really needed to see something like that,” said Bartliff.

General studies major, Chisom Nnoli recalls the mural being bright in the distance, “I was automatically drawn to its message,” said Nnoli,

Giving ultimately good feedback, students were able to more so conceptualize and visually indulge in facts regarding trafficked victims.

The campaign by Art Works for Freedom has successfully turned heads and summarized the coercion and force of trafficked victims, all whilst providing a seamless form of awareness that notably spoke for itself.

If it were not for the inspiration to spread the facts of trafficking, the informative visuals gazed upon that November would have never been presented.

About Jada Braxton