Home / FEATURES / Black Lives Matter Round Table
Black Lives Matter Round Table. (left to right) Professor Cole Thomas, Jasmine Hutchinson, Hakim Floyd, Jack Lester, Chris Townsend, Sondra Williams, and Keisha Webb. Photo by Chelse Brown

Black Lives Matter Round Table

Do all black lives “really” matter?

On Feb. 24, the Feminati Club on Dunwoody campus held a Black Lives Matter Roundtable Discussion panel. The Feminati club is dedicated to feminism and women’s issues that discuss relevant topics that happen locally and internationally and relate them to the feminist student body. The Black Lives Matters movement is a very sensitive topic that needs to be addressed on college campuses so students can voice their opinions about the real issues at hand. With social and racial injustice circulating our community and throughout the nation at an all time high,  the Feminati club definitely showed up and showed out to tackle that situation.

The Panel discussion consisted of four Perimeter College students including one leader of the  Black Lives Matter movement’s Atlanta chapter.

The first question that initiated the heated discussion was, “Do all black lives really matter?” asked Jasmine Hutchinson, who hosted the event. Majority of the audience and panel agreed that all black lives do matter. Overall, the panel acknowledged that black people fell under systemic oppression, corruption, and the downfall of the black community. The panel also believed that people misinterpret the statement of what all black lives matters really meant. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, as well as women, are also excluded from the conversation. A minority of a minority? That summarizes it.

The controversy dealing with pro- and anti-gay issues and laws was definitely brought into discussion. With gay marriage now legal throughout the nation, the panel certainly moved the conversation in the direction of homosexuality in the black community and the topic of homophobia. Religion, mass incarnations and rape were few of the reasons the panel suggested that homophobia exist. Does homophobia really exist or is it the lack of acceptance in the black community?

Perimeter College students who were absent from the panel discussion were surveyed to collect their views on the topic. Sidney Walker is a Sophomore at the Decatur campus majoring in Business Administration. When asked “does homophobia exist in the black community?” he responded, “Yes, because the image is stereotypical of the black man that’s portrayed through the mass media… It’s hard being a homosexual in general, it doesn’t have a color, love has no face”. This was a sensitive topic for some students considering that some have faced homophobia within their families and the public in general.

Milton Kizer, engineering student at Dunwoody campus. Photo by Chelse Brown.

Milton Kizer a Dunwoody sophomore student majoring in engineering agreed that homophobia in the African American community still exists. “Yes, a lot of people are supporting it and it’s more accepted in the black community depending on the location,” Milton said. Student feedback is definitely important throughout the school campuses, because  student messages need to be heard loud and clear.

About Chelse Brown