Home / NEWS / Perimeter College News / Campus MovieFest awards students and invites them to Cannes

Campus MovieFest awards students and invites them to Cannes

On Thursday, March 23, students and supporters packed the newly remodeled Cole Auditorium at Clarkston campus to take part in the viewing of 16 student film submissions. The event was the fourth installment of the annual Campus MovieFest at Perimeter College. Though the spring rains made it dreary outside the atmosphere inside of the auditorium was the opposite.

Students and supporters mixed and mingled while enjoying refreshments and take away prizes at the door. Only four films were selected to take part to compete nationally to see who will win the prize of attending the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. Campus MovieFest holds the title for being one of the largest student film fests and was started back in 2001 by a group of Emory students. The competition’s participation has grown to about 50 colleges and universities nationally as well as having tours in England, Mexico and Scotland.

“I’m looking forward to some great movies tonight,” said Vice President of Education Brandon Chong. Students who participated in the contest were issued a Panasonic camera, MacBook Pro, access to Adobe’s Creative Cloud and a loft lighting kit. Equipped with all of these things, the challenge was to create a movie of five minutes or less that was worthy of recognition.

“Tonight was awesome, I’m happy to be here and I look forward to participating next time,” said Jordan Thompson, a kinesiology major at the Decatur campus.

“We are hoping to win first place,” said Alex Artehea, business administration major at Newton campus. Artehea is an actor in “Inevitable” a film submission by Trevor Jenkins, a first year communications major at the Newton campus. The contest had a few technical difficulties but was a success. Best actor award went to Diezie Ivan Sahn, for his character portrayal in “Hunter,” and Krystal Ferris took home the award for best actress for her character portrayal in the film “Her Choice.” The four submissions that won the chance to compete nationally were “Turning The Key To Rehabilitation,” “Hunter,” “Redress” and “Consumed.”

About Clarence A. Portee

“And that’s the way it is…”

Writing this letter has not been easy. I put it off time and again, postponing …