Home / FEATURES / Coverage of Boko Haram

Sometimes, there are horrendous events that happen in the world that do not always get the attention that they deserve. Stories are reported on — only to fade from the minds and memories of the general public on a global scale. April 14, 2016 marked the second year anniversary of the day more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted from a school in Nigeria by the Radical Islamic group Boko Haram.

According to the United Institute of Peace (USIP) “Boko Haram is an Islamic sect that believes politics in Northern Nigeria has been seized by a group of corrupt and false Muslims. It wants to wage a war against them and the Federal Republic of Nigeria generally, to create a pure Islamic state ruled by sharia law.”

The mass kidnapping is an event that is definitely worthy of more extensive coverage and ranks high on the list of atrocities in the history of the world. The old adage out of sight, out of mind comes into play when it comes to what we see and hear in the news especially in mainstream media.

Erica Bowles, a business administration major on Perimeter College, Clarkston Campus said, “I feel like things are biased in the news as far as what stories are reported. I remember on social media when “Bring Back Our Girls” was trending constantly, but after a few weeks passed no one spoke about it or inquired about the status of those girls. Were they rescued? Were they safe? Does anybody even care?”

Because mid-April marked the second year anniversary of the mass kidnapping, there was some coverage on this still sensitive and volatile situation, but not nearly enough to keep it in the forefront of everyone’s minds.

Jana Campbell, journalist major on the Dunwoody campus said, “This is a horrific tragedy that is still unfolding, but has been relegated to small media outlets such as newspapers. There is no public outcry because I feel the world cannot handle anymore senseless crimes.”

Linda Thomas-Greenfield is the Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs. At a recent meeting before the USIP she referred to Boko Haram as “the world’s deadliest extremist group,” and she is suggesting solutions to the Boko Haram crisis.

Wilfried Kabre, a business administration major on the Clarkston Campus and a native of Burkina Faso was reluctant to express his views on the subject but said “it’s like they don’t care what happens in Africa and the terrible things going on there is what is expected.”

About Ruth Green

Being Healthy As a College Student

A good balance of healthy food and regular workouts can be difficult to accomplish without …