Home / NEWS / GSU Atlanta / Panthers Ready to Pounce

Panthers Ready to Pounce

No one saw a 6-7 record coming last season out of the Georgia State Panthers football team, especially with a 1-11 record the previous season.

Many people viewed it as a miracle that this team was able to make it to the Autonation Cure Bowl against the San Jose State Spartans. Although the Panthers suffered a 27-16 loss, it was still a very impressive feat for a program that has struggled in the past.

“Honestly, at the beginning of the season last year we had no idea that would happen, we had no expectations, we were just trying to win games more than one.” Quarterback Aaron Winchester said after he led the white team to a 26-3 victory over the blue team in the annual spring game.

Winchester was impressive on the day as he threw three touchdowns, and ran for another.  He never seemed to be flustered, and always seemed to make the right play. He was sharp with his throws connecting on several long passes, including one to WR Todd Boyd, which resulted in a 43 yard touchdown.

The white team defense was impressive holding the blue to 3 points on a field goal and making several big plays. Linebacker Justin Otiwu made an interception and made a few tackles. Linebacker Alonzo McGee added several big plays to help in the effort.

If the season were to start today Winchester would probably be the starter based off of his performance in the game, but there is still a lot of time left before the season starts.

“I think I did well, I think was in a great rhythm especially from the previous scrimmages, and the game was really slow for me today.” Winchester added.

Coach Trent Miles was pleased with the way his team performed during spring practice and the spring game as well.

“I saw some good things, I saw some things that we have to work on, it was a fun day, great crowd, and we had no major injuries so it was a very successful spring for me.”  Miles said.

The team knows that there is more expected of them, but they also have high expectations for themselves.

“This year we have very high expectations for ourselves, and we want nothing else, but to win a Sun Belt championship, we wake up Sun Belt championship, and go to sleep thinking Sun Belt championship.”  Winchester said.

Panther football is on the rise, and it should be a special season for this team.

About Christian Critterden

“And that’s the way it is…”

Writing this letter has not been easy. I put it off time and again, postponing …