Here’s a list of 137 commands for Alexa, a guide where you learn the kind of questions to ask your Echo smart speaker. There are all kinds of commands. From the most basic and essential to others a bit more advanced. The list includes ways for asking the same thing and the occasional secret command.
We divided all the content into different sections. One that deals with asking about current affairs. One to teach how to schedule alerts and reminders, manage lists, make purchases, or play music. There’s also a section for general information questions and another for “hidden” commands.
News, Time, Weather Information
Let’s start with a series of commands that keeps you informed. Ask your Amazon Echo for the news of the day, both general and sports, as well as
- Alexa, good morning: Responds with a good morning and tells you all the information for your day. You have to set your routine though.
- Alexa, what’s the news of the day?: Opens the news summary based on how you set it up in the application.
- Alexa, what’s on TV tonight ?: You can ask about the schedule for television networks.
- Alexa, how did the Falcons do?: It tells you the latest results of the team as well as the next matches they have.
- Alexa, what is my sports update?: It tells you the results of the teams you set as favorites.
- Alexa, what’s the weather ?: It tells you the temperature and the weather in your city. Also gives the forecast for the rest of the day.
- Alexa, what’s the weather in New York?: It tells you the temperature and the time it in the city. Also gives the forecast for the rest of the day.
- Alexa, is it going to rain this weekend ?: You can ask Alexa if it’s going to rain or it’s going to be sunny. She’ll tell you the answer related to your city.
- Alexa, is it going to rain this weekend in Brooklyn?: You can ask if it’s going to rain or it’s going to be sunny in a specific city. Alexa will tell you the answer.
- Alexa, what is the weather in Portugal?: When you ask about the weather in a country, Alexa asks you to specify the city. When you respond, it will tell you.
- Alexa, what time is it ?: Tells you the time.
- Alexa, what time is it in St. Petersburg ?: Tells you what time it is in the city that you tell her.
Alarms, Reminders, Appointments
If you need a little help to remember stuff, Alexa has alarm systems, reminders and calendars to help you. Here are the commands that you need to know.
- Alexa, set an alarm: Starts the process of setting an alarm, and Alexa will ask you the time.
- Alexa, set an alarm for 7 in the morning: Sets an alarm for the next day at the time you say. If it is an alarm in the morning, it will ask you if you also want to set it for the rest of the weekdays.
- Alexa, wake me at 8 o’clock in the morning with music: Sets the alarm with music. Uses the music service that you set by default.
- Alexa, wake me at 8 o’clock in the morning with music by Queen: Sets an alarm with the music of the artist you specify. It uses the music service you set by default.
- Alexa, cancel all my alarms: Cancel all the alarms that you have configured.
- Alexa, what alarms do I have ?: It tells you the alarms that you have configured.
- Alexa, postpone …: You can also postpone alarms to sleep those extra five minutes more.
Alexa,set a reminder: Start scheduling a reminder. It will ask you first what the reminder is for, and then it will ask you when you want to it to remind you.
- Alexa, remind me to take out the garbage at 9 o’clock at night: Set up a reminder to take out the trash. You can also do it without specifying the time or subject to remember, and Alexa will ask you.
- Alexa, tell me my reminders: It tells you your next reminders.
- Alexa, delete reminder: It will delete the current reminder or ask you which one you want to delete.
Alexa,set a 5-minute timer: Alexa sets a timer and will notify you when the time you requested has passed. Alexa,set a 10-minute timer for the pizza: You can also name the timers to distinguish them in case you use several.
- Alexa, add “dinner with friends” to my calendar: Adds the term “dinner with friends” to the calendar. Also asks what day and at what time.
- Alexa, add an event to my calendar: Starts the whole process to add an event to the calendar. Alexa will ask for the name of the event, the day and the time.
- Alexa, add an event tomorrow in my calendar: Adds an event the next day or the specific day you say. You only have to tell her the time and the name of the event.
- Alexa, what do I have on my calendar ?: Tells you the last four events that you have on your calendar. When finished she asks if you want to know more.
- Alexa, what do I have on the calendar today ?: It tells you the events that you have today. It can also tell you for a specific day.
Create and Manage Lists
Shopping lists, a list of pending tasks, or even the ingredients you need to make that dish that you like so much. Alexa lets you create and manage your lists via the Amazon Echo.
There’s no need to go to the application. Everything syncs so you can pull them up on the mobile app.
- Alexa, add tomatoes to my shopping list: Adds the term tomatoes or the one you say to the shopping list. A list also comes preconfigured in Alexa.
- Alexa, add watering the plants to my list of tasks: Adds the term water the plants or the one you say to the list of tasks. A list of which comes preconfigured in Alexa.
- Alexa, create a list: You start the process of creating a list. Alexa asks the name and what you want to add.
- Alexa, create a list with the name XXXX: Change XXXX to any term, you will create a list with the name you want.
- Alexa, add things to the list XXXX: Change XXXX to the name of one of your lists. You start the process of adding something to that list. Alexa will ask you what you want to add.
- Alexa, add [Element] in the list XXXX: Change XXXX to the name of one of your lists. Add the element that you have said to that specific list.
- Alexa, lists: The assistant will tell you which lists you have created.
- Alexa, what do I have on my shopping list ?: It tells you the items saved in the shopping list.
- Alexa, what do I have on my task list ?: It tells you the items saved in the task list.
- Alexa, what is in the XXXX list: Change XXXX to the name of a list that you have created. The assistant will tell you what is inside.
Shopping With Alexa
Alexa and the Amazon Echo are products of Amazon, one of the largest online stores in the world. It’s only logical to have commands to make purchases without opening a computer or phone. Be careful, when you buy via Alexa everything happens in a flash and you may end up buying the wrong things.
- Alexa, I want to buy: It will ask you what you are looking for, and it will tell you the results of the term you say.
- Alexa, I need to buy water: It will tell you the first two results that appear on Amazon with the term you said.
- Alexa, I want to buy a phone: Alexa can also find different types of product.
- Alexa, buy iPhone XS: If you tell her a specific product, Alexa will search for it so you can buy it.
- Alexa, how’s my basket going? It tells you what products you have added
inyour shopping cart.
- Alexa, how’s my order going? It will tell you when orders arrive from Amazon, both from your Echo and from the web.
In Alexa, you can configure your zip code to perform searches related to places near where you live. For example, you can ask if there are certain stores nearby or what is showing at cinemas in your city.
- Alexa, what restaurants are around here ?: Tells you the most visited nearby restaurants.
- Alexa, look for a nearby pharmacy: It tells you the nearby pharmacies.
- Alexa, where is a post office nearby? It tells you the nearby post offices.
You can try these commands with other locations such as cinemas, bars, etc.
- Alexa, suggest a Chinese restaurant: It tells you the best-rated restaurants.
- Alexa, what is the time of the Prado Museum? Tells you the establishment’s schedule for which you ask.
- Alexa, what science fiction movies are there in the movies?
- Alexa, what movies do are on tomorrow at the cinema ?: The requests can also be for next days.
Your Amazon Echo does not stop being a speaker, intelligent or not. Alexa also has several commands to get the most out of its speaker capabilities
It offers several controls to play music with different services. It lets you listen to the radio, play environmental sounds or even read books.
- Alexa, play Mariah Carey music: Plays songs from the artist on Amazon Music or Spotify. The service you set by default
. Alexa, play Mariah music on Amazon Music: Plays songs from the artist on Amazon Music or Spotify. The service you specify.
- Alexa, play hip hop: If you have Amazon Music as the default service, it plays the hip hop music station. If you have Spotify, it will look for a playlist with a similar name.
- Alexa, play party music: If you have Amazon Music as the default service, it plays a party music station. If you have Spotify, it will look for a playlist with a similar name.
- Alexa, play the album “AlbumName”: You can also ask for album names. It searches them in the service you preconfigured.
- Alexa, play Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’: You can ask her for specific songs to play.
- Alexa, play my playlist of Nicki Minaj: It plays a playlist you have with the name you say, in this case, Nicki Minaj.
- Alexa, what song is this ?: When you’re listening to music, you can also ask for the exact song you’re listening to.
- Alexa, next: Go to the next song.
- Alexa, previous: Skip to the previous song.
- Alexa, play “RadioStationName”: It plays the radio station on the service that you set.
- Alexa, play ‘Insert Podcast Name’: You can also ask it to play your favorite podcast.
- Alexa, play me the sound of rain: If you need soothing sounds like rain or a storm, Alexa can play them too.
- Alexa, read the book ‘American Idiot’:
Ifbought the book for Kindle, Alexa reads it with like an audiobook.
- Alexa, turn up the volume: Turn up the speaker volume.
- Alexa, lower the volume: Turn down the speaker volume.
General Questions and Calculations
Your Amazon Echo with Alexa can also act as an encyclopedia, dictionary or calculator. Here are some of the general information questions to ask. For example, ask Alexa to translate words or phrases and find word meanings. It also does simple and compound mathematical calculations, as well as unit conversions.
- Alexa, who is Rihanna?: You can ask Alexa to tell you about famous people, alive or dead.
- Alexa, how old is Wendy Williams?: You can ask her about the age of celebrities. In the answer, she will also tell you the date of birth.
- Alexa, when did George W. Bush die ?: You can also ask for other specific details of known persons.
- Alexa, what does caprice mean ?: Alexa can also act as your dictionary. It tells you the various meanings that the same word can have.
- Alexa, how do you say ‘Thank you very much’ in German: You can ask her to translate words into the language you want.
- Alexa, how far is the Moon ?: You can be specific and ask “how far away from X planet?”
- Alexa, how many people live in Canada?: Ask for country-specific data. For example, their population, information about the anthem or the flag.
- Alexa, play the anthem of France: You can ask her to play an anthem and use Amazon Music or Spotify to do it.
- Alexa, how high is Mount Everest?: You can ask about the height of the mountains.
- Alexa, how long is the Nile River ?: You can ask about the length of rivers.
- Alexa, what time does the sun rise ?: It tells you the time of sunrise in your area.
- Alexa, what time does the
sun set?: Tells you the time of sunset in your area.
- Alexa, what is the square root of 99 ?: You can also ask her mathematical operations.
- Alexa, how much is three plus seven times two ?: Mathematical questions are easy for Alexa. Sometimes you need to use proper wording.
- Alexa, how many days left for summer ?: You can ask questions related to the calendar. For example, how many days till Christmas?
- Alexa, how many miles are in 10 kilometers: You can also ask her to make conversions to other types of units. For example, a mile to meters and inches to feet.
Other Things You Can Ask Alexa
Here are some questions that don’t fit in the previous sections. With commands ranging from requests for random content to many others. For example, funny stories, jokes, etc.
- Alexa, what can you do ?: It summarizes things you can ask.
- Alexa, surprise me: Perform random actions, such as playing melodies.
- Alexa, hello: You can say hello to your assistant.
- Alexa, why is your name Alexa?: She explains where the name Amazon came from.
- Alexa, how old are you ?: Tells you her age.
- Alexa, tell me something: Tells you a little know fact for general knowledge.
- Alexa, tell me something I don’t know: Another command to get a fun fact.
- Alexa, how are you ?: She answers you with her mood, and then she tells you a random fact.
- Alexa, call XXXX: Substituting the XXXX for the name of a contact on your mobile that also has an Amazon Echo.
- Alexa, send a message to XXXX: Same as above for messages.
- Alexa, blue or red?: Says blue or red (helps make choices).
- Alexa, roll a dice: It tells you a number from one to six.
- Alexa, tell me a number from one to a hundred: It tells you a random number between the amounts you tell it.
- Alexa, rock, paper or
scissors:tells you stone, paper or scissors.
- Alexa, tell me a story: Quotes a story.
- Alexa, tell me the story of Little Red Riding Hood: Tells you a specific story that you ask.
- Alexa, tell me a joke: Tell you a random joke.
- Alexa, tell me a pirate joke: You can also ask for jokes about specific themes like pirate jokes.
- Alexa, tell me about soccer: Same as above for soccer. Alexa, tell me a riddle:
- Alexa tells you a riddle. Alexa, sing a song: Sings a short random song. Alexa, sing a lullaby: Sings a random lullaby.
- Alexa, what is your favorite color?: You can ask her about her favorite color.
- Alexa, who is your favorite singer ?: She talks to you about singers.
- Alexa, what is your favorite game? Same as above.
- Alexa, where do you live?: Go ahead and ask her…
- Alexa, can you rap?: You can ask Alexa to rap for you.
- Alexa, tell me a movie phrase: It tells you a quote from a random movie.
- Alexa, suggest a Skill: It suggests you try some Skills.
- Alexa, open [NameSkill]: Open and start using a Skill that you have installed.
- Alexa, I want to meditate: It offers you a meditation skill.
- Alexa, show me a magic trick: A funny magic trick.
- Alexa, bark: You can ask her to imitate animal sounds.
- Alexa, talk like Yoda: There are also hidden some cinephile questions. Alexa can speak Klingon or Yoda.
- Alexa, help me cook: Open a cooking skill and help you find a recipe.
- Alexa, open My Horoscope: Your daily horoscope is also within reach via your speaker.